Autumn 2023 Update to RISM Online
Thursday, December 7, 2023
We are pleased to announce a significant new update to the RISM Online service, bringing several useful and oft-requested features to our users.
Perhaps the biggest change is that our users will now see results from the Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music integrated in their search results. This enhances the coverage of RISM Online to include results for music manuscripts from the Medieval and Renaissance periods, and particularly those entries that are available in the printed RISM B/IV series. At the time of launch, this functionality has added 3,714 new source records, 2,586 new person records, and 707 new institution records to RISM Online, significantly enhancing our coverage of these periods.
For example, a search for “Ockeghem” in RISM Online now returns 194 source results, with 65 of those source record results coming from the DIAMM records.
In addition to the new DIAMM integration, a number of user interface improvements have been made. Some of the new features include:
- An “Active filters” section for seeing, at a glance, all search terms that are currently active
- Icons in search results help to better visually distinguish record types. They are described on the RISM Online Help page.
- Improvements to page layout on screens of different sizes
- Improvements to the Incipit search and display, including downloading an image of the incipit for use in papers, presentations, or websites
- Many improvements to our languages and translations
- Visual updates to our facets and record previews in the search interface
For the data-minded, the new update also brings with it a new Reconciliation API service for use with OpenRefine, a popular tool for doing data management and clean-up. RISM Online is listed in the public registry of OpenRefine services, and you can read more about how to use it in our new documentation pages.
There are many other changes, some which are noticeable and many which are not. As always, you can send comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.Share Tweet Email
Category: RISM Digital Center