New Portal: Between Chopin and Tellefsen. European musical treatises—universalism and national identity
Thursday, June 9, 2022
We have received the following from the Fryderyk Chopin Institute:
The new portal ‘Music treatises’ is available now!
The project Between Chopin and Tellefsen. European musical treatises—universalism and national identity has been underway since November 2020 and will be carried out until October 2022. It aims to facilitate access to musical treatises written in the 18th and 19th centuries, important for the development of theoretical thought, through their academic documentation and translation into Polish and English.
Among treatises that are studied as part of the project there are:
- Friedrich Wilhelm Marpurg, Abhandlung von der Fuge, vol. I–II (1753–1754)
- Heinrich Christoph Koch, Versuch einer Anleitung zur Composition, vol. I (1782)
- Johann Nikolaus Forkel, Allgemeine Litteratur der Musik…, vol. II (1792)
- Anton Reicha, Cours de composition musicale (1818)
- Luigi Cherubini, Cours de contrepoint et de fugue (1832).
The treatises will be made available already in October 2022 on a dedicated web portal. The project is complemented by two academic articles presenting an outline of the history of European music theory by Dr hab. Alina Mądry (Prof. of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań) and Prof. Thomas Christensen (University of Chicago), which are available now!
Take a look at the animation which promotes the portal!
Catégorie: Ressources en ligne